Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Double Breasted Coat - Demo


 I started with a rough sketch. This assisted me with the placement of the paper.

 Here I have painted in the blue hair with gauche and placed two pieces of paper which were from old watercolor paintings.

 ...more gauche. I am trying to find colors that might work with the pieces of the watercolor paper.

 I discovered in my pile the paper I wanted to use for the coat. This, too, is a piece of an old watercolor painting. I painted some more gouache, though, before I laid down the paper. I didn't want to later have to paint up to the paper's edge. I wanted to try to keep that a clean line. I also had to work that piece of paper to make it do what I wanted it to.

 Then more gouache to unify the front of the coat.

I then went in with pastel to start to carve out the image. This is when  I had to get serious. I tried to keep as much of the paper pieces visible as I thought would work. At this point I felt like I wanted to tone down the upper right corner. I did really like that piece of paper, though, but it just wasn't working for me.

...and finally, the hard part - the face. I always manage to save it for last, even though, I vow to do it first, but that never happens.
   This was the first time I used gouache and really liked it. My studio neighbor gave me them to try. (Thanks Helene!) I love how fast they dry. It's great when working with collage and pastel. 5x7 on paper.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie: Do you use acrylic medium to adhere your collage pieces? If so, do you find it disrupts the underlying gouache layer?
    Thanks
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, For this one I just used a wood glue. (It's what I had in my studio.) It worked fine. My last few pieces I have worked on I have used "Mighty Muk".

    ReplyDelete