Thursday, January 19, 2012

Clutches and Hats - Collage and Paint

16 x 20 on board

CSC was my grandmother.

I had a basic idea where the girls were placed. It was going to be a torso and head shot. I wanted to get the board completely covered with paper.


After I finished the collage, I put a couple layers of transparent gesso on it. Most of the paper is wallpaper samples from old sample books I picked up for nothing at a paint and wallpaper supply store. Although I do have to admit I did pick up some paper at Michael's (craft store). I happened to be there and couldn't resist.


Composition sketched in with paint.


First stage of paint - getting the drawing and color scheme established.

4 comments:

  1. I really love your collages and appreciate that you show your process. Is the paper you use acid free? Just curious if there's ever a problem with it breaking down with the paints on the canvas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I use an acid free glue and clear gesso on top.

      Delete
  2. I love your work. I saw this on DPW and when I went to the comment area, you had left no info about the painting or comments about it. That brought me to your blog! Good marketing, I always put it all out there, so no mystery with me! I will be taking a collage class in Feb. and your process here was helpful, as I have never done collage before. One of my instructors suggested I take it to learn about "design".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your collages Katie and seeing your process. This is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete