Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hair Strings - Demo


Hair Strings
4x6 paper and pastel


I started with a sketch on pastel paper using a grid as a guide. Her hair is dark so I wanted a dark piece of paper to establish this. Which in the end I struggled with a little.


An old piece of wallpaper goes across her face. The other pieces are old paintings - two pieces are oil, one is watercolor and the lighter one is oil on a piece of linen.

The purple on her face is an old pastel piece and in the upper left corner is rice paper colored with watercolor. I am satisfied with the layout of the paper, so I decide to go in with the pastels at this time.

There is really is an image missing after this one. I thought I had finished and sprayed the painting with fixative, which darkened the entire image and made it muddy looking. So I guess in my frustration, I neglected to take pictures at this point. My upper most thought was I needed to brighten it up - thus, the final image as you see it below.

Final image

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting to see, Katie. I'd like to try a collage sometime. It's inspiring to see your work.

    ReplyDelete