Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pink Under White Shirt - DEMO

6x8 collage and pastel on panel
I wanted to cover the entire panel with paper before adding any paint or pastel. As it ended up, I only used pastel and some charcoal.


I first grid my panel and sketch the image, so that I can find appropriate placement for the pieces of paper.


I then looked through my pile of paper for inspiration and then back at my reference. What struck me was the contrast between her dark hair and white shirt. I decided to use that as my jumping off point.


As I was studying the white shirt, I noticed all the blue in the shadows, so I decided to lay down some blue pieces. In order not to lose the drawing as I worked, I sketched some of the drawing back in on the new pieces as I went.


I then decided to keep with the blue theme for the background, but while searching for blue paper, I found this groovy, cool piece which I thought could be a good color for the face. I even saw a chin line in the paper. (Green piece in center).


Okay, so then I wanted to find a big piece to go in the upper left corner, and also realized there was a lot of blue highlights in her hair. I again sketched the image back in.


Then in my quest (always searching for the perfect piece), I found what I thought to be the perfect piece for her face.


My objective at this point was to get the board covered with paper, which now it is.


Here I have added just a few black accent pieces. Okay. All set. Now to find the drawing again.


Here I have used charcoal to sketch in the drawing. I have also introduced some blue pastel.


More pastel colors are brought in.


The final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment