Monday, January 3, 2011

Cotton Candy Hair - Demo

 The reference for this painting was an old mug shot - an idea I got from Maria Pace-Wynters.

 I always steer towards blue and purple in my paintings, so I threw in red and yellow pieces of paper to see if I could warm up my painting some.

 I tend to leave the face for last, but this time I was brave and worked on that first.

 Here you see purple has managed to sneak in to the dress even though I consciously tried not to allow this to happen. When working from a black and white photo, it is easier for me to make the shadows cool with blues.
I wanted to leave her hair this froth of pink, but I guess it was looking too ridiculous, so I tamed it with some brown. I am very proud of that red color, though.

5 comments:

  1. The whole idea of using paper is new but just starting to be interesting to me. I'm glad you put the demo together. I like the way your painting came together too! I've been planning to get some "Miracle Muck" for over 6 years now. I do have some "Yes! paste" though, I guess that would work. What do you use to stick the paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used just glue, but ran out and started using my Mighty Muck, which I guess is the miracle muck. I think that works much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katie for posting the demo and the info too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, how have I missed these amazing demos before?? I just spent a delightful half hour savoring your process...I'm smiling inside and out. I have always loved collage and am in love, you could say, with the IDEA of doing it. That's as far as I've gotten. I just have no clue where to begin. Thanks for sharing your creative process.It is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen Katie Kendrick's paper collage and painting? This reminds me a bit of her technique. The results are different, however. The "other" katie is at joyouslybecoming site.

    ReplyDelete